Trusted Advice. Assertive Advocacy.

Has Your Family Dynamic Recently Changed?

Have you welcomed a new child into your home? Sold a home or business? Gotten divorced? When your family is experiencing changes, it is a good time to review your estate plan. If you do not have an estate plan, the time to create one is now.

Discussing wills and trusts or estate planning can seem like an uncomfortable topic. However, it is about making choices regarding you or your family’s future in a way that you know will be enforced, even if you are not there to do it yourself. Estate planning services include, but are not limited to:

  • Planning and preparing estate planning documents
  • Last will and testaments
  • Advance health care directives, also known as a “living will”
  • Trusts: revocable, irrevocable, inter vivos and testamentary
  • Powers of attorney: springing power of attorney, financial power of attorney, power of attorney for management of property and personal affairs

At the Law Offices of Michael H. Clinton, LLC, our team can provide the compassionate and knowledgeable counsel you need to make informed decisions about the well-being of your family’s future through an estate plan. Call our office in Glastonbury for a free consultation at 860-430-4350 or email us by completing the online form.

What Is An Advance Health Care Directive And Durable Power Of Attorney?

An advance health care directive gives your named agent(s) – often a spouse or “significant other” is the primary agent – the power to make medical decisions, sign consents and/or releases with hospitals, doctors and other medical providers in order to act on your behalf when you are incapacitated or otherwise unable to make decisions for yourself. An advance directive also acts as your “living will” for end-of-life decisions.

The durable power of attorney is a “general power of attorney.” This document is intended to give your named agent – often your spouse, significant other, child or trusted adviser is the primary agent – the power to deal with your assets and decision making in the event of you being unable to do so yourself.

This document gives your agent broad powers to dispose of, sell, convey and encumber your real and personal property. If you have any concerns about granting such broad powers, discuss your concerns with a lawyer prior to finalizing your power of attorney document.

Do I Really Need A Last Will And Testament?

A last will and testament is a legal document that provides your wishes to be followed after your death. A will controls the division of your individually owned assets and appoints guardians for children who are still minors. In your will, an executor is nominated to manage the distribution of those assets. If you die without a will or trust, your assets will be distributed by the law of intestacy. This means that Connecticut probate statutes will decide who inherits your money. A will ensures that your individually owned assets go to the individuals and charities that you choose.

Probate Does Not Need To Be A Painful Process

If your loved one recently passed with or without a will, their estate will have to go through probate court. It can be a complicated process for a grieving family. But with the help of an experienced law firm, it does not need to be painful. With care and appreciation for the wishes of loved ones, we help our clients through probate every step of the way.

Consult With Our Knowledgeable Firm To Update Or Create Your Estate Plan

Since 1996, the Law Offices of Michael H. Clinton, LLC, has been providing families in Connecticut the peace of mind that comes with knowing they have protected their family’s future with an estate plan. Call our firm at 860-430-4350 for a free consultation today.